This Page

has been moved to new address

originally posted 25th April 2006

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: originally posted 25th April 2006

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Friday, October 05, 2007

originally posted 25th April 2006

Paul, My childhood soulmate magnify

The picture here is of myself and my childhood soul mate Paul.

I woke up this morning and glanced over at the bedside cabinet and looked at the picture and thought about Paul. Something told me to scan this and post it.

Paul was born with a deformed heart. I met him on the beach in Cliftonville (real close to where I now work). My parents ran a small kiosk on the cliff top at Foreness Bay. I spent many summers on that beach. Another friend introduced me to Paul. He couldn't join in the sort of things we did, like running around on the beach and swimming. He was barely able to walk and was very fragile. We spent time chatting with him and designed some games that Paul could join in with using chalk and flint.

Paul was never going to live long and his father crammed in as much as he could in his short life. Michael (Pauls dad) took us everywhere. I remember going to see the Bond movie "Live and let die" with Paul. Paul introduced me to the "Secret Seven" books which I loved. Despite Paul being given so much, he was never spoilt. He had that childhood inocence and never had to experience the bad things in this world. He remained a child and trusted and loved people.

When Paul was 14, he went for an operation in London to try and extend his life by a couple of years. Michael promised to take us to see "Peter Pan" in a London Theatre when it was over. Sadly, Paul didn't survive the operation. I always think of Paul as a "Peter Pan" because he never grew up into an adult. He will forever be that loving, kind trusting child.

Paul is buried at Kingdown church near Deal in Kent. It was many years before I went to visit his grave (ten years ago now). I loved him dearly, miss him and will never forget him for that perfect friendship we had.

I guess this sounds like a sad story, however, I feel the need to celebrate his short life. Its a reminder that life could be much better and kinder for everyone, if only we would learn to let it.



original comment received: -


Comments


Kids are so much closer to truth in the world so relationships run that much deeper and spiritual.

Tuesday 25 April 2006 - 03:08PM (EDT)


Thanks for your reply Tommy. It help to know someone reads this,
M

Tuesday 25 April 2006 - 10:24PM (BST)


I was very touched by your piece today Marty. It is in the nature of children that they are untouched by the complications and anger of ego. Children act and react from the heart - their honesty is disturbing and refreshing. And we all have that child inside ourselves, we just forget that fact.

Wednesday 26 April 2006 - 07:36AM (BST)


Thanks Steph and bless you. I can always rely on you to be sensitive and understanding.

M
x

Thursday 27 April 2006 - 07:31PM (BST)

  • Anonymous
  • Offline

Beautiful story of friendship. I know he is happy looking down and still caring for you.

Saturday 20 January 2007 - 07:23AM (PST)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home