This Page

has been moved to new address

Butterflies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: Butterflies

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Butterflies

Ok (here is the link folks!)Sankaran, you got it. Here is my entry. It took me a while to be inspired but seeing as many other have posted, I guess I want to join in.

Butterfiles,

It was the day of the race. School cross country for the whole school... the highlight of the year. I was enthusiastic. I wanted to do well. I knew I was not good enough to win. Sport was not something I was good at, but running distance? Well I could make a passable attempt at this without being laughed at by the others. The breeze was cool and the air damp. I had butterflies in my tummy.
I made attempts at stretching, not really understanding what this meant, but hey! ya had to look the part and make like the others. The shout came "GO!" My peers sprinted on ahead and I took measured strides. It was not long before those sprinters got out of breath lagged to walking pace, hands in hips. I kept running at a steady pace determined not to stop and walk.
What a great day is was. I didn't win of course. I didn't even come close but the joy of encouragement from the sports master next day in class in front of everyone. "Well done lad. You exceeded my expectations. You gave your all and I'm impressed". A smile of triumph spread across my face. Praise from the sports master. Now that was rare.... for me at least.

Comments

(17 total)

I love the story. It is very humble and open. Well written :o)

Saturday 23 September 2006 - 05:39PM (CDT)


Funny, Marty! I have an IDENTICAL experience! That, when I was in Class 10 (Age 15). Strange that another similarity surfaces!
The Story, is simple, straight and genuine. Typically Marty!

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 04:30AM (IST)


oh how many times i felt the same before a race...and relived it now trough your story. Thank you for that. Nice write off.

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 01:17AM (CEST)


This is a won........ 'ang on a minute! This is YOUR story Marty, ya Wombat.... LOL LOL

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 12:25AM (BST)


Lol I dont think I ever got much in the way of praise for my sports efforts at school, wasnt very good at anything but enjoyed a nice kick about when I could get one.

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 01:18AM (BST)


lol what a fantastic story

I to raced cross country back in school and this totally captured my experiance

p.s no declaring yourself the winner! lol

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 08:20AM (WST)


Wonderful story Marty.. and a good moral to it as well.. It is not about finishing first, it is all about finishing period! :) A+ !!!! :)

Saturday 23 September 2006 - 07:54PM (CDT)


Great story?? I love your storys?

Saturday 23 September 2006 - 10:37PM (ADT)


...and when you finished the race the butterflies were gone, flown away! Nice story Marty! I am sure the praise from the sports master was well deserved!! It is never about being first. It is being able to complete...

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 07:53AM (IST)


Slow & Steady wins the race...Marty so many different shots at Butterfly...Sankaran u got bloggers chasing butterflies here....

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 07:54AM (IST)


Bravo! :-) Tha' was cute. I was never into sports - like I always say, I just sit in front of the TV and act like a know-it-all. And hey, I play Scrabble. ;-)

Saturday 23 September 2006 - 09:01PM (PDT)


I thought it was quite inspiring. I was terrible at running. We used to have a health test in school, part of which was to to run 2.4 km in a certain given time. I failed the first time and the second but passed on the third attept. The rule was such that one has to keep trying untill and unless you pass..even if that means a thousand try...your story kept remininding me of those experiences.... well written :)

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 02:37PM (EST)


From having butterflies in the tummy, to having wisdom of celebrating a no win is amazing. Very well written, short and sweet story! It is so amazing to see the different stories people are coming up with, with these butterflies theme!

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 02:05AM (PDT)


What a lvely story of a happy child. Thanks marty, verily a butterfly in itself.
hugs
steph

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 12:43PM (BST)


The sportsman spirit,ultimately prevailed..and I guess thats what counts the most..We are most often defined by the idea of winning..But little do we realize that it is in the running..that the whole learning experience lies..Your story brought back memories of another day..:-]..TC..Regards,Husna..

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 11:12AM (EDT)


Wait.. gym teachers give compliments? I thought that was against their creed.

Sunday 24 September 2006 - 05:37PM (CDT)


Nice story Marty, I liked the sentiment of your determination not to win but to do the best by yourself and not give in, that is the best that anyone can do, I think your praise from the sports master was justly deserved indeed.x

Monday 25 September 2006 - 01:45PM (BST)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home