This Page

has been moved to new address

Moments in history

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: Moments in history

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Moments in history

I caught a bit of the TV programme the other night on the 1980 embassy siege in London. It's one of those moments that embeds an image on your mind and you remember where you were.

So..... I'm thinking about those sort of moments I can remember in my life that stick in my memory. So... in no particular order...

1. Iranian Embassy Siege 1980.
I'd just left school that year and had been away for a week or so on some sort of holiday. I think it may have been with my parents. Getting home and switching on the TV with no knowledge of what had happened made for dramatic viewing! I'd certainly never heard of the SAS up to that point and I guess many folk felt the same.

2. 1969 man on the moon.
My father woke me during the late evening to watch this event on the TV. As a young child, I didn't fully appreciate the significance of it back then. For some reason, I do remember there being a full moon in the sky that night, very bright.

3. Live Aid - Wembley Stadium 1985
Now..... Why was it I decided to go to a night club in Canterbury that night and miss the whole show? Still, I watched it a few days later with a friend who taped the whole thing. Watching the horrific images of the staving Africans to the music of "Drive" still made an impact though. Very moving.

4. Twin Towers - 911
Sitting on a bus in Bromley during a lunch break and hearing someone mention a plane hitting the towers and thinking it was probably a small aircraft and an accident. Then spending the rest of the day at work, like everyone else glued to the TV.

5. The death of Diana - 1997
I got in from the pub the evening before and after watching a little TV just before midnight, decided to turn in. Found my young kids in bed with mum because the were poorly, so slept in Craigs bed for the night. I remember being semi awake in the morning with the kids up early saying the was no kids TV progs on. I heard Christine mention something about the death of Princess Diana and woke immediately.

Well, those are 5 that come to mind right now. There are probably more, but I can't think of any right now.

How about you?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home