This Page

has been moved to new address

Choose to give credence to belief

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: Choose to give credence to belief

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Choose to give credence to belief

There are many "religions" in our world. Most strong followers of them state that they are the one and only way. I find it sad that conflict often results from arguments that prevail. It seems to me that almost always, the central edicts of the various belief systems promote the same or a similar message.
Love.
Peace.
Respect.
I find it sad that often, these (and other) central edicts get downgraded in importance allowing the emphasis of differences and dogma to get in the way. 

Man loves to be right and hates to be wrong. 

On a personal level, I'll state that I am a Christian. Much of this comes from the culture I live in. When I chose to commit to Christianity, I did so based on the concept of love and respect for others. It is something that is a challenge to maintain, but is central to my desire. I believe that the very same foundation of other belief systems applies to all other "religions" or belief systems including those of humanism and/or atheism.

In my pursuit of self development and research, I discovered "The Way to Happiness". I received the DVD, booklet and promotional material a couple of days ago. It's pretty impressive. It ties in some cases to The 10 Commandments lovebut has the interesting principal of not claiming to be part of any "religious" organisation. 

You'll notice that I use quotation marks when writing the word "religious". This is deliberate. I find the word comes with labels that generate assumptions and creates fear and prejudice. I prefer to refer to myself as spiritual and of the Christian Faith for which I choose to believe. 

It is pretty clear that virtually all war and conflict occurs as a result of "religious" conflict. Some of it is generated as a result of anti "religion". Many of the ancient conflicts are all detailed in The Old Testament/Torah/Koran as I'm led to understand. (I'm not much of an expert on The Old Testament and have read only parts of it. In truth, I find it a bit hard work!) 


One of the most profound statement in "The Way to Happiness" is reference to being respectful of other peoples belief systems. If we all simply did that, then surely we can all live in harmony?

All this has been said before I know. These messages get written and re-written. I believe it is natural to do this in order to keep the message fresh. Otherwise the message simply goes stale and is in danger of being forgotten. 

It is always advised to be careful when discussing "religion" and politics. It brings forward so much emotion. I do so today to attempt to share some balance to the arguments.

So endeth Marty's thoughts for today!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • The very word 'religion' simply means 'system' in its true sense. Scross the world, at different times, many great people realized the existence of a power beyond our normal human perception, called this power by different names, gave it a 'form' for us to perceive this power in a manner we mortals are capable of and created system of Life, as they realized, that would be useful to us. Depending on which part of the world these systems emanated from, they had cultural moorings around these systems. Various suggested ways of living, or practices, went on to become mere rituals, shorn of of our own understanding of its intended purpose, and various systems (rather followers of these systems) were easily turned against each other by those who found these belief systems a useful and powerful tool for polarizing the world, create various power centers and thereby become sources of power far beyond the systems themselves.

    One who understands these systems, or religions, can easily understand that they are all fundamentally same. One who understands 'God" can understand that He is the same for any being.

    By Blogger svelliyod, at Thu Jan 20, 05:53:00 PM GMT  

  • Brilliant reply Sank. I love your take on this. It adds more "meat to the bones" of the subject.
    How are you?
    I hope you are well and it's great to hear from you.

    By Blogger Marty BoneIdol, at Thu Jan 20, 06:02:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment



<< Home