This Page

has been moved to new address

Inspirational songs

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: Inspirational songs

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Inspirational songs

Day 7 of Mind Alchemy and this is a task close to my heart. Picking my favourite inspirational songs.
Music plays SUCH an important part in what makes us tick as human beings. I can get inspired by music in so many ways. It is the ability to experience the whole range of emotions that means so much to me. Sometimes it's a sad song that inspires, simply because it allows us to get in touch with ourselves. 

As a musician, I find playing music a way to express feelings;  Joy, rest, fear, anger, gratitude, laughter, tears, excitement, ecstasy, and so many more emotions that are beyond words grant that great feeling. 

I'm going to share mine with some explanations of why they touch me. 





Queen - I want to break free. 
What can I say? Those times when we feel trapped in life. That desire to be free of the shackles. I remember having to work Saturdays in a motor dealer showroom and being tasked with vacuuming the floor first thing.  I hated working those Saturday mornings and would imagine myself as Freddie Mercury dressed up (ooer!)


Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Always liked from when I was a child, but has particular significance when my cousin from Australia made a picture video about 20 years ago (she worked in media) to celebrate the full life of her father. It was brought over to us on video tape. This of course happened long before people were able to do what they do now and create video's with software on PC and upload to YouTube. 

Freely - Beggars' Belief
I make no excuse for blatant self promotion! It is just such a great song that lifts my spirits and I see it life the spirits of folk when we play it. 


Somewhere over the Rainbow - IZ
I really do love Eva Cassidy's cover of this too. This one has simplicity and has that ability again to lift the spirits.

There must be an Angel - Eurythmics.
Remind's me of clubbing as a teenager when night clubs played real chart music! Can't beat Stevie Wonder cameo on the mouth organ too. 



Digging your Scene - The Blow Monkey
I guess you describe this as somewhat obscure now. I can't explain much more that it remains in my memory as something from my teenager to 20's youth. 


Many Rivers to Cross - UB40
A moment captured in time. I was in a pub in Dover with an Afro Carribean friend back in the early 80's and this came on the juke box. He said to me "Man I love this song" I've loved it ever since. There is something very special about gospel singers too. 


Where is the Love - Black Eyed Peas.
This is a song that cries out from deep within the soul. This came out at the time when I discovered my vocation in life. I started working in a young persons hostel. The young lads played this all the time. I have a vision of a young hooded lad I was supporting, looking out his flat window blasting this out to the world. I guess he was demanding answers expressing his anger at how he felt life had dealt him a tough deal.


Mr Bojangles - Robbie Williams "Oh lord, when he shook his head" Does it for me every time!


My Way - Frank Sinatra
I love to sing this at Karaoke! When I struggled with my emotions in the past, I think back to those times and sing this. It's a song about integrity. 

There are many more songs, but I'd be here all night!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Wow! This is a great collections of videos about your favorite song. We have something in common, I like singing in karaoke, too. Having these songs we love is actually a big help in going through self-development. The songs, music in general, help us retain our composure especially when we are in extreme emotional situations.

    By Anonymous self-development books, at Thu Feb 10, 03:33:00 AM GMT  

  • I'm glad you liked them and that you concur with my thoughts on the subject. Thank you.

    By Blogger Marty BoneIdol, at Thu Feb 10, 11:20:00 AM GMT  

  • Marty, I have to say I am more on your musical wavelength than on several of the other lists I have seen posted. Hopefully after a crazy weekend I will be able to share my list as well.

    By Anonymous Laura Dogsmom, at Sat Feb 12, 02:52:00 PM GMT  

  • Hi Laura,
    I look forward to seeing your list. Thanks for leaving your comments.

    By Blogger Marty BoneIdol, at Sat Feb 12, 04:57:00 PM GMT  

  • Hi Marty,

    Those are some really great songs that you chose! It really is amazing how deeply songs can touch us. I have found many times that music can express how I'm feeling more than I can and can even help in the healing process at times.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacy

    By Anonymous Stacy, at Sun Feb 13, 01:46:00 AM GMT  

  • @ Stacy
    I'm glad you liked the songs. I think you are right. Music does help with healing.

    By Blogger Marty BoneIdol, at Sun Feb 13, 09:45:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment



<< Home