This Page

has been moved to new address

What is the definition of intelligence?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: What is the definition of intelligence?

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

What is the definition of intelligence?

Intelligence is a word that I believe many people have a different concept of. 
A favourite definition for me is "not necessarily knowing the answer, but knowing where to find it!" 
We now have the massive benefit of the internet. I use it to such a large extent now. This is from simple things such as searching for the spelling of a word. 
I use the net to clarify my knowledge on some subjects. Perhaps its a date or a place. 
Looking for information on one subject often (for me) sparks off a multitude of links to other pieces of information, advice and resources. I'm aware that it is good for me not to do too much of this because I end up heading off in all sorts of tangents that cause mission drift, perhaps in writing a blog on a given day.

About 10 years ago when I worked for TV Jobshop, for a short while I ran a call in line for folk seeking advice on how to find a certain job. You might wonder how I could do this without massive knowledge about all job sectors. I simply used the net. I can remember being asked how to join the fire brigade. 
It's all there on the screen by simply choosing to look. 

I didn't think this would work because I assumed everybody would know to do what I do and look for answers on the internet. Of course, many people either don't know how and choose not to. Maybe they prefer to ask somebody. There is of course a lot of disinformation on the internet, but it simply takes a little considered evaluation of what is use (to me) and what is not. 


If you are reading this, then you are using the internet in some way. People in the office at work often ask random questions (such as how do you spell........) 
It is all to easy to say to ourselves "I don't know how to......."
That doesn't mean a lack of intelligence. The answer to "I don't know how to...."  or "I can't......." is GO FIND OUT!
The fabulous news is that you can do that from the comfort of your chair!


-----ooooo00000ooooo-----


Hmmmm. Just heard on this mornings new that the composer John Barry has died. I'm a fan of his music. It has had a massive impact on movies, particularly the James Bond franchise. Here is some suitable music. I LOVE this....

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • with evaluation, the internet is a great source of knowledge and information. there are times though, when i feel more comfortable with answers from a real person.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 31, 12:39:00 PM GMT  

  • You are dead right there. We are social animals, so real interaction is important. The good news is that we can choose. I think that is why being the middle man worked when I was at TV Jobshop. Thanks for you comment.

    By Blogger Marty BoneIdol, at Mon Jan 31, 12:48:00 PM GMT  

  • So true, Marty. Unfortunately, it's too darn easy to become distracted and end up spending way too much time on the Internet when looking up a simple answer to a question.

    By Anonymous Margaret Duarte, at Tue Feb 01, 12:57:00 AM GMT  

  • Thank you Margaret. I do love using the internet, but also recognise that it can become a distraction at times. I'm very grateful for your feed back and really enjoyed reading your blog.

    By Blogger Marty BoneIdol, at Tue Feb 01, 07:35:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment



<< Home