This Page

has been moved to new address

Communication at work

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: Communication at work

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Communication at work

Hi folks,

I've got to say that I've had a pretty good day at work today, although I've still been feeling pretty tired. I think this could be to do with the onset of autumn. Management are away on holiday at the moment, so myself and one of my colleagues have been jointly covering some extra responsibilities. We spent some time today just talking in the office about our life experiences. I love times like this when I get to chance to know someone at another level.
I helped Maria with some accounts. In particular, this referred to using MS Excel and making sure formulae was correct. I managed to teach Maria a few little tricks and showed her how this worked. I enjoy sharing knowledge, just to see the joy on peoples faces when the get it. This worked well at counselling training yesterday. Some people on my course were worried about the role play we need to do (I love role play). I think I managed to make people feel at ease about this. Again, doing this give me some peace, especially as it helps to make new friends and help others to gain confidence. This improves my confidence too.

Tommorow, We are getting a digital aerial fitted at home so my teenagers will be able to watch TV in their own rooms instead of claiming our bedroom. I like to go watch TV on my own fairly often, or just chill out and read a book, or just doze quite often, so when I find Dawn in the bedroom watching Hollioaks or taping a movie, I get quite frustrated. Items in the house are shared equally (the kids are more equal than I am) with me always getting the smallest slice of the cake! ohhh the joys of parenthood. LOL

On the theme of communication, here is todays scribble.

Phone Calls and Faxes

Early 1990’s just after I was made redundant from shipping and forwarding, I picked up a quirky little job forwarding phone calls and fax messages around the world. This involved hard copy faxes coming in from companies in Europe that needed forwarding to far flung countires (some of which I’d never heard of before). It was supposed to work that somehow, due to pricing structures it was cheaper for companies to do this via the UK and for the company I worked for make a revenue out of it. They did the same with phones too, allowing cuban’s to call the UK and us forwarding the call to USA (which got round an embargo at the time, until USA authorities found out and pulled the plug!)

The office I worked in was in a basement. One day, one of the guys photocopied a £5 note, sewed in a piece of cotton and put it out through the grate to the path outside. We used to gather round and laugh everytime someone spotted the note and went to pick it up, only for us to wip it away at the last minute!

Eventually, after about 2 years, it became apparent that the directors of the little outfit I worked for had not been paying the phone bill. It ran to over £1 million and broke in the local press, Basically (so I was told) they had made a miscalculation of how much revenue they could make. It didn’t actually work so they went bust and I was made redundant again. Probably the weirdest place I ever worked.


Comments

(13 total)

Hey Marty,
Having teens running amuck in your own house????
My 9yr old and my 7yr old, both understand when I say "right you lot , this is daddy time, be quiet or go to your rooms..instant silence.....try it with your bedroom....
My 7 yr old wanted to "asleep in daddy's bed, until I told her that anyone who sleepsc in daddy bed dont wear no clothes"I got an instant reply "eeeeeewwwwwwwww, I'm never going to sleep there then" and she never has......

Wednesday 27 September 2006 - 01:44PM (PDT)


Its funny I'm living on my own now and get so guilty about having first choice with everything all through the week that I have to let my sons have the remote while they are here at the weekend, like I could stop them lol.

Wednesday 27 September 2006 - 09:44PM (BST)


Hi Marty nice to have you back babe....And I will try take your advice for my own TLC this W/E when all the cleaning is done...lol I loved your blog about helping others to build there confidence it is so good that you share your knowledge with others, as some use it to wield power as I am sure you will know...so big pat on the back and {{{HUG}}} for that. The fiver thing was funny too made me giggle as it did you I bet. Although I have a varied taste in music I have never took a liking to jazz but listened to it anyway....and guess what Marty......I still dont like it lol sorry babe, never mind it takes all sorts as they say and as long as it makes you happy who cares...xxx

Wednesday 27 September 2006 - 10:13PM (BST)


i love you blogs :)
what you said about training and helping people is so true, we grow a little whenever we do it! incredible.

Wednesday 27 September 2006 - 10:14PM (BST)


There is a sense of satisfaction in helping others and sharing knowledge, that is it's own reward.
So, you've done the old fake fiver trick too huh? lol Good fun.
The jazz was cool. Take care.

Wednesday 27 September 2006 - 10:51PM (BST)


Hi Marty,
Was reading your blog today and out of all of it, the thing that almost jumped out was'Oh the joys of parenthood'.
I know quite a few people who would love that chnce and I remember this when I stat moaning about my children. We are so fortunate to have the experience of parenthood in fact it is an honour, don't you think.
Now then Marty, Going back to your trombone playing, I have a challenge for you which will take your mind off work a bit - but I am afraid you will still have to go to work lol. I will let you know soon- Take care and god bless

Wednesday 27 September 2006 - 11:00PM (BST)


Well, that solves the problem of having to communicate with the teenagers! Eh, sms language, urban language, emo's, chav's, moshers, I can never keep up with learning yorkshire let alone early twenties lingo. No rest for the weary ya know. All the best.

Wednesday 27 September 2006 - 11:39PM (BST)


Everyone needs their own space. I love reading you blog?? Alway something new? much hugg marty? sweet dreams?

Wednesday 27 September 2006 - 09:34PM (ADT)


Keith Jarret playing Autumn Leaves.... sweet!

Wednesday 27 September 2006 - 07:57PM (PDT)


Hi Marty glad work has been good, after recent feelings regarding work it pleases me that you are feeling better on the subject.
It is great helping others sharing knowledge...teaching them something new, it has a great sense of satisfaction indeed and is in itself it's own reward.

I have to say I don't like role play that much, I'm ok when I get into it but I feel very awkward and daft to start with, it's nice that you can put other ppl at ease with their anxieties over it.

As for the kids lets hope the aerial does the trick!! Guess I have all this to come!! ;) By the way Dawn would get on well with my mum....she loves hollioaks!! lol.

Liked the scribbling...it did indeed sound a very strange place to work....thanks for sharing.x

Loved the vid, not normally my usual listen but enjoyed muchly.

Good luck on getting your bedroom back for your "Marty time". Bug hugs to you sweetie and my love to you.x





Thursday 28 September 2006 - 10:33AM (BST)


Hmmm, this idea of reading a good book often, I stubbled across a quotable the other day, it speaks of how much one might love their wife, or kids I thought and so here it is,

"The virtue of her lively looks
Excels the precious stone;
I wish to have none other books
To read or look upon"

Thursday 28 September 2006 - 08:29AM (EDT)


and then there is 'Persimmons, wrapped in newspaper' which is a very powerful read...

Thursday 28 September 2006 - 08:31AM (EDT)


Hey Marty,
I can see that there's a natural teacher in you. There's a great deal of patience in the way you deal with things and you have such a commonsense and practical way about you in the way that you write as well as discuss things. Sometimes in todays world people are so ahead of themselves and crazy about getting too much achieved.

Great to see you taking pleasure in getting 1-1 time with colleagues and helping out etc.

Friday 29 September 2006 - 12:13PM (EDT)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home