This Page

has been moved to new address

8th August 2006

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: 8th August 2006

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Saturday, October 06, 2007

8th August 2006

Are we ever satisfied?
174 magnify
It was the weekly trip to Asda this morning and I did my usual thing of leaving Chris to go get all the food and provisions while I sat in the cafe having a breakfast. I HATE shopping. Chris has to be in control of it all and I can't cope with the drag of wondering around, it stresses me out and makes me very tired.
Anyhow, whilst sitting in the cafe, the brain cells started to tick over and I got to thinking about what I would blog today. Here it is: -
I sometimes wonder "Are we ever satisfied?"
What has made me think this, you may ask. Well I guess some of it comes from reading Kevins blog about the athlete Flloyd Landis who cheated, and Kevin's despair at that. I think of Tim's blog about Jensen Button winning the Hungarian Grande Prix. Will Jensen be satisfied? I don't think so. Many people achieve great feats in their lives driven by very stong desires. They may achieve heights but still very often they go on. For instance

Boxers coming out of retirement like Muhammad Ali in the seventies.

Donald Campbell continued to beat his fastest land speed record and paid the ultimate price for it.

Edmund Hilary reaching the summit of Everest "because its there"

There are so many more.
Maybe some people do get a degree of satisfaction, but is it enough? Mick Jagger summed it up with his song "I can't get no satisfaction" and yes, I think he tried in many many ways. Experiements with all sorts of substances seem to be the thing these days. I see it first hand in my work. I'm ashamed to say that I look at my 360 page stats each day and see the numbers go up and I'm never satisfied (makes me realise how self centred I can be and its summut I don't like too much about myself).
One of the most profound stories I have read/heard is about Freddie Mercury from the group Queen (I'm a big fan). Shortly before he died in I believe was his last ever interview he said this "You can have everything in the world and still be the loneliest man, and that is the most bitter type of lonliness. Success has brought me world idolisation and millions of pounds, but its prevented me from having the one thing we all need - a loving, ongoing relationship". Extract from Questions of life
by Nicky Gumbel.

On reflection, I think that like Steph's blast we must believe in our dreams, or at the very least, have those desires, even if we don't attain them, but.... I believe there has to be a balance. Whilst desiring a purpose in life, we need the support and love of those around us to be there when things doesn't always go as expected. Sometimes, when there is obsessive desire for perfection, we must give ourselves permission to fail from time to time. The desire for perfection, I have found, can be a very destructive force. All of us that exist on this planet, I am sure are here for a reason and we are therefore worthy.

I give thanks to all you folk that write here on their blogs, read, offer support, praise each other. I find it really uplifting and it replaces my faith in human nature. You've all made me laugh and cry from time to time. You are all helping me to grow as a person and to understand myself and to change the things in my life that I need to. Will I ever be satistfied? who knows, I doubt it because wanting it what drives me on each day, I guess.
Here's to continued sharing... God bless you all.

Comments

(6 total)

You made a very good observation. I think that the fact that people do keep striving for more is the reason we have come so far in society - both on the good and bad points. It helps us to achieve greater advances, but can also bring out the greediness and pettiness.

Tuesday 8 August 2006 - 04:46PM (EEST)


It seems to be human nature to be never satisfied with what ever we have, the nature of the beast if you will, as Jamie says this brings out both the good and the bad in us, "without the dark there can be no light". Oh and Marty just so you know I am also a massive queen fan (especially the early stuff) and I also keep a close eye on my page stats.

Tuesday 8 August 2006 - 04:15PM (BST)


On the question of never being satisfied, I pose another - what is it that is missing in order to be satisfied? What is it that you\I need but are not getting? Witness the clowning course I went on last week (yes I know I keep on about it!) I left feeling very sad that I was leaving my friends and the tutors - and I realise that this was about satisfying a childish need to *play* in a way I missed as a kid - with other *children* that I met there. A strange phenomenon - being adults and yet meeting the child in each one. I still feel the loss now and am unsatisfied and want more - and perhaps I just have to get my feet firmly back on ground level and live in my *now* which is home and family....and I so want to *play* !!!!! :o(

Tuesday 8 August 2006 - 04:45PM (BST)


Hi Marty - at least you GO with your wife to Asda - even if you dont do alot when you get there - coming with me would be a start for my hubby !!!!

Tuesday 8 August 2006 - 06:46PM (BST)


To learn to be satisfied is extremely important for us all,is there anything unhappy enough to prevent us from enjoying our life everyday?Tomorrow the sun will rise from the east and set in the west as usual,we have no excuse to be over emotional as to imagine us to be the most bitter type of loneliness. Everyday we communicate our understandings about some issues,sharing perspectives and receiving support and praise here on the blogs, why do we still think we are lonely with so many friends around us?

Wednesday 9 August 2006 - 05:03PM (CST)


Like you Marty, shopping has that effect on me but I have found that I learn so much from my wife and now enjoy it ( well, most of the time (but don't tell her) LOL. It's very interesting what you say about being satisfied. I think that my wife who is also one of my 360 friends (yellowrose) sums it up in her blog on 30th July. What do you think. -God bless-

Thursday 10 August 2006 - 11:00AM (BST


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home