This Page

has been moved to new address

Rest in Peace Kurt Klingspor

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: Rest in Peace Kurt Klingspor

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Rest in Peace Kurt Klingspor

Today's blog is going to be a little different in that I want to pay tribute to a good friend (whom I knew only briefly). He sadly passed away on Christmas Eve as a result of cancer. 

I feel the need to celebrate the short amount of time I knew Kurt and to remember the good times we had together. 

Kurt had a very dry sense of humour and had the ability to laugh at himself. I've written about laughter in an earlier blog see here. 

The photograph of Kurt here, eating fish and chips with me in Birchington represents Kurt acknowledging one of many jokes we shared. It refers to that very famous episode of Dad's Army when the German Uboat captain orders his food from Private Walker ".... and I don't vant any soggy chips!" This could be considered as not politically correct humour, however I often think of non PC jokes somebody being offended that somebody else might be offended by the joke.... if you get my meaning......


I first met Kurt when on tour with Torbay Brass Band during the summer of 2008 when we visited the Rhineland in Germany visitng Lahnstein, Rudersheim, Cochem etc. 


Kurt was an engineer from Siegen in Germany. He had a passion for motorbikes, Volvo cars and British brass bands. Kurt possessed some considerable ability on the tuba and was always willing to learn more. He would soak up advice on playing brass like a sponge. His passion was demonstrated by his willingness to travel from Siegen to Lahnstein, simply to play with Torbay band. He stayed in touch and achieved one of his ambitions by playing in a brass band contest with Torbay band in 2009. I remember emailing him the music to "The Once and Future King" and helping him with some awkward rhythms for tuba. This was all done via phone and internet before he made the long journey from Siegen to Torbay for the contest. We then both drove back in convoy to Kent. 


I have to mention here that Kurt achieved a goal in his life. It was to play at that contest in Torbay. He knew the secret of dreaming and believing in his passion. 


It's always sad to lose a good friend. Recognising loss is important, but also remembering good times helps to heal the sadness. 


My final thought here. If you experience bereavement, resolve to treasure good memories. 


Some further photo's and a video memory.


Kurt wearing my comedy flying hat!
Taking some instruction in tuba playing from the very talented and experienced tuba player, Martin Cleave
With the tuba section of Torbay band. At Maximillians
 Need I say more!!!
Good friends....... ermmmm (ahem!)




Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Hi Marty,
    i am Michael from Siegen. I am a member of Bläserchor Geisweid. Kurt was also a member of the band. Yeaterday was his funeral. We played with our band at the funeral. Jesu meine Freude from Krüger arr. Eric Ball and Dancing with the angels (Joyce Eilers) arr. Luc Vertommen. The preacher had read your blog and told about your friendship in his speech.

    By Blogger Michael Schmal, at Fri Dec 31, 12:46:00 PM GMT  

  • Michael,
    Thank you so much for reading and for letting me know about Kurt's funeral. I feel very blessed indeed to know that what I have written was mentioned.
    I would have liked to have been present, however it was not possible for me, although I did think of Kurt yesterday. Please pass on my regards to everyone from Siegen who knew Kurt.

    Marty

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Dec 31, 02:24:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment



<< Home