This Page

has been moved to new address

Therapy

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: Therapy

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Monday, October 09, 2006

Therapy

Hi folks

I've just got back from my first therapy session. I felt pretty comfortable with it and talked about quite a lot of things. I guess this has brought me to realise that I have a lot going on in my head that potentially affects me on a emotional level. In fact at one point I did get pretty emotional during the session.
Its quite interesting that I got some homework to do before going back next week. This is stuff that I'm quite comfortable with. One element is diary writing, which of course I do anyway on here.

I've signed up for a 6 month membership at a new fitness centre that JJB Sports are opening shortly at Westwood Cross. Works out at just under £20 per month. It would have been £26 per month, but I got student discount. I decided to pay the six month membership up front. Proves my student card comes in pretty useful, even though I'm only at college 3 hours per week. The centre looks pretty good from the advert. It has a heated pool, exercise bikes, sauna, sunbeds and various other related things one would find at such a place. Its not opening till November and I've got an induction day for it on 10th Nov. I really looking forward to this now and fancy getting a fair amount of swimming in during the winter. Maybe this will get me back in to running again soon.

Here is a scribble, lifted from a longer piece I'm writing. I've seperated this one from it.

School days – Corporal punishment.

The all boys school I attended during the mid 70’s at age 11 was pretty strict. It had to be because most lads that got expelled from other schools in the area got sent there. We had quite a rough mix, but the teachers were good at handling it. Most of the teachers would dish out corporal punishment, something that is now banned in schools. My feelings about this are mixed. I can see both sides of the story. Here is an amusing little event that occurred.

A very good friend of mine, and an excellent musician, frequently got into trouble. He never attend school detention and would always end up being caned. One particular day, the deputy head teacher pondered the situation and had a question for him.

“Young man, it seems this happens very frequently with you. Almost every Monday morning, I here you name called out in assembly because you have failed to get to class on time, or some other misdemeanour. As a result, you are given detention as punishment, but low and behold, you fail to comply with this and I end up, yet again, having to administer the cane to you. Why do you put yourself through this?”

He replied “Well sir, I’ve far more important things to do such as practicing my Euphonium”.

The teacher thought about this reasonably intelligent answer and said.

“Yes, I can understand your dedication to your music and its pleasing to see someone showing some clear commitment. It’s an admirable quality that I like to see in my students. Bend over laddie!


Comments

(4 total)

Fittness aarggh noooooo.
Anyway now I've got that out of my system, glad your session went well, it can sometimes be quite an emotional experiance cant it, I have found that a fair bit during mine, I go to my next appointment this evening at 4:00 pm.
We had corporal punishment at my old school when I was young, the cane wasnt used very much though, I dont think our head was a lover of it. Dtention we did have and I have to admit that for quite some time the teacher who ran detention used to save a place for me up front and wondered where I was if I wasnt there, ooh I'm a bad boy.

Monday 9 October 2006 - 01:55PM (BST)


Luckily punishment was out before i hit my "Wild Side" as for Detention, to this day I hold the record of person in detention most.(my old dear friend Mr. Principal told me not long ago).. Bless their hearts I was the only one In Detention ALLOWED to speak, i was in there so much he refused to have me sit quietly for a school year...LOL Lots of luck with therapy & the gym :-)

Monday 9 October 2006 - 08:21AM (CDT)


Marty, congrats on your 6month commitment to the gym! As a personal trainer I have to say, it was a great choice and a great investment in yourself. And a brand new gym! That'll be great! Glad to hear therapy went well. You are certainly on a roll.... hip hip hooray for you. Big pat on the back and all that. You're worth it, and by investing in yourself, you'll have that much more to offer your family and friends when they need you.
Don't believe in corporal punishment myself, but there does need to be a middle line, teachers here have no authority at all anymore and the students know it.

Monday 9 October 2006 - 05:00PM (EDT)


Glad you had a good session.. and physical execercise works the mind to! Great choice!
Funny story too by the way! Corporal punishment.. well i will leave that one alone! LOL! So debateable and has its good and bad depending on admistration.. lol

Tuesday 10 October 2006 - 08:07AM (CDT)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home