This Page

has been moved to new address

Compassion

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: Compassion

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Compassion

I picked up a magazine at work this week to do with care work. I'm not sure where it came from, but I guess it was sent through because it links to the work I do. There was an article written about compassion and how it appears to be missing in much of care work due to the enormous pressures care workers and nurses etc. are under with all the additional target driven work that has to be done to ensure funding. It was suggested that there needs to be a re focus on compassion, but to my dismay this was referred to as yet another target to hit.
How on earth can you measure compassion?
Its the most ridiculous suggestion I think I have ever seen. To try to measure compassion is to devalue this natural human trait and render it completely ineffective. It sickens me to imagine the grey suited auditors actually having to ask such a condescending question. Do we really need to assess whether we gave out of daily dose of compassion each day and somehow record that for evidence? Compassion is something we either do or don't have dependent upon the situation and pressures we are under. Not only is it something to be given, it also needs to be received on a regular basis. Compassion is something I feel very strongly for my 16yr old son right now because he is devastated by the break up with his long term girlfriend.

Compassion must be devoid of judgement and opinion. Like empathy, it must be a listening ear and attention without being intrusive. It must be absolutely aware of raw feelings. It must be gentle and kind and above all it is NOT something to measure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home