This Page

has been moved to new address

Global Mariner

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: Global Mariner

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Global Mariner

Hi Folks,

Well... Its just another day for me at work. All has been fine and dandy, I have to say.

Its been very warm here the last couple of days and I feel we are still in this "Indian Summer". Apart from a couple of cooler days last week, I'm still wandering around outside in shirt sleeves. Its making me very tired.

Anyway, heres an interesting scribble, particularly for any seafaring folk out there.

Global Mariner

Year 2000.

This was the year that I gave up playing in a brass band for 6 years. At that time, I was playing Baritone for the Betteshanger Welfare Band in Deal, Kent.

During that year, the band was asked to play on board a ship at East India Dock in London, close to Canary Wharf and right opposite The Millenium Dome. The ship “Global Mariner” had just completed a circumnavigation over a 2 year period. The purpose of the trip was to promote awareness of the “Flags of Convenience” issue. (My knowledge of this is limited, but it has to do with seafaring danger and cost cutting in the maritime.) This was the second time our band had played on this ship (the first time being just before the journey round the world 2 years before.) Millions had been spent on this trip and this second band gig we had, celebrated the success of the ships voyage.

It was a cold March day. On deck on the river Thames, the sharp wind cut through our lightweight band uniforms, however, forethought of the organisers allowed 2 large space heaters to raise the temperature to something reasonable whilst we played.

Now, when I say reasonable, for me this was extreme because I was sat right in from of one of those heaters and I was roasting! Its interesting… the heat plays some funny tricks on a brass instrument. The effect it had for me was to make the Baritone so out of tune it was almost a whole tone sharp and I stopped playing for fear of the dreadful noise I was making in the middle of the band. I pulled out every tuning slide, but still, this made no difference.

All in all, it was a good day out. There was a lot on entertainment on this former freight ship, not the least for the curry cooked for everyone in the hold as part of the party. I reckon they must have fed around 500 people.

Some months later, I pick up a newspaper and caught sight of a headline and picture of “The Global Mariner”. After the ship had completed its round the world trip, a decision was made to put it back into service. The maiden voyage took Global Mariner to Venezuela.

It is a great irony that Global Mariner, having spent 2 years going round the world and docking at many different harbour’s in many different countries promoting safe seafaring, finally met its end in a collision with another ship “Atlantic Crusader”. Global Mariner sank in Matanzas harbour, Orinoco River, Venezuela.

Some links relating to the ship

http://www.bridgedeck.org/mmp_news_archive/2000/mmp_news_000803.html#anchor1825238

http://www.geocities.com/uksteve.geo/glob.html

Comments

(4 total)

Interesting little story Marty. You must be having it nicer there than we are here its definitely not short sleeve weather here, we have had loads of rain and it isnt very warm either, grumble moan grumble.
Glad your sounding better mate.

Thursday 12 October 2006 - 05:59PM (BST)


Well Marty, I have to comment on this blog, wht a lovely ship. I have been into boats of all kinds most of my life. Just as some folks see and appreciate the lovely lines and designs of cars or aeroplanes for examlpe I appreciate the same in boats. This one really looks something special - A pity it met its end in this way. Great possitve memories, thanks for putting it on. Have you decided about the band yet? --Roy--

Thursday 12 October 2006 - 06:13PM (BST)


hey Kevin, send that rain down under, will ya please? We need as much as we can get right now, and you have an abundance......
Marty, your sinking ship story brought a tear to my eye,as it reminded me that my Grandfather was a merchant navy Commodore,before retiring to a lighthouse keeping position in New Zealand........

Thursday 12 October 2006 - 01:04PM (PDT)


Interesting story Marty. The bit about the space heaters is funny. I have this image of you sitting in a deckchair in shorts and sunglasses while everyone else is wrapped up in overcoats, shivering. LOL.
It's a shame what happened to her. You displayed a fine sense of irony with your choice of vid.

Thursday 12 October 2006 - 09:27PM (BST)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home