This Page

has been moved to new address

3rd September 2006

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: 3rd September 2006

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Thursday, October 11, 2007

3rd September 2006


blog
Definition: to author an online diary or chronology of thoughts
Etymology: 1999-2004; abbr. of Weblog
Usage:

blogged, blogging; blogger,

I’ve said before that I came to this forum as a way of journaling to compliment my foray into counselling training. The need to get in the habit of writing is one reason. Why not just write privately you may ask? Well, I confess to wanting to be heard, whether that be by receiving replies or not (or course actually getting replies is much better). It the knowledge that it’s out there for someone to read that gives me the satisfaction.

This is far removed from newsgroups that I have been involved with which were predominately discussion and support forums and can remain static.

Brenny suggested I write on this subject. So, here is my take on it all.

I prefer this forum for the following reasons: -

As a child I was told “Little boys should be seen and not heard”. This, I believe knocked my confidence in many ways and, because of that for many years, I would not be heard in conversation with people because I did not think I was worthy. So.. having gained confidence with life experience its easier now, but writing here means I can allow my thoughts to blossom or bloom as Brenny put it, without being interrupted.

Things I have learned so far in the “Listening Skills” counselling training is to be aware of ones own judgement and prejudice (which needs to be put to one side in helping interviews). As a result, I've learned to embrace in a much greater way, folk from different backgrounds, creeds and cultures. I have found common traits in all human beings…. Needs and wants, dreams, expectations and yes, even some prejudice and judgement although looking back, there is less P & J than I guess I might have judged myself prior to training. We are all, of course a lot more alike than we realise. The funny thing is, as I see it, honesty seems to bring this out.

With the encouragement of many (not the least for Yahoo 360 for featuring me recently) I’ve begun to find I really enjoy writing and I guess I’ve discovered (dare I say) a bit of a talent for it. This is borne out by the comments I’ve received from folk. In a paradoxical way, there is for me a feeling of safeness in writing and sharing here. There are dangers of course, but I'm aware of these having seen what has happened in newsgroups. How many of you have read back through your blogs and noticed how we change, adapt and grow? Unless you are new, say less that a month or two and have not done this yet, try looking back. Its facinating!

Surfing round 360 is like a (virtual) mystery ramble in the countryside. “Shall I go here? Shall I go there? Hmmm, that looks interesting… oops.. there’s a dead end… ooer that looks scary and dangerous.” There’s a menagerie alleys, tracks and roads to go down. In a lot of cases, I set up camp somewhere for a while and take in the experience of one particular blogger for a while, then find some follow me, or I follow others.

Finally, I get a real “feel” for people and what makes them tick from the pictures, graphics, poems, stories, wit & humour, video’s, recipes etc etc… they share. There’s a whole iceberg worth of people and information out there of which I feel I’ve taken just a small scoop with a desert spoon.


Comments

(10 total)

Blogging is a real release for me, we also need to feedback to keep a check on reality sometimes, I think its been a marvellous adventure. you are so right, I go lurking quite often, while I have a very open mind, there are some very scary places on here, but the beauty is, we can simply do a u turn and move on! We lay ourselves bare on here, yet still retain the anonymity, its working for me.....

Sunday 3 September 2006 - 04:30PM (BST)


There is no cure for common blogging it comes every day !

Sunday 3 September 2006 - 09:32PM (IST)


Interesting blog Marty matey, 360 is the place where I have the courage to talk to people openly about things I dont generally in normal life, I enjoy writing my blogs, although never considering myself in the least bit interesting its nice to have people read and comment on my blogs, I honestly didnt think anyone would show interest in me once they had read one or two. I too have explored and there does seem to be the odd scary or worrying place out there, there seem to be a lot more interesting and decent people. I do think Marty that you have a very real talent for this and I'm sure I wont be the only one to think so, keep up the good work mate.

Sunday 3 September 2006 - 05:12PM (BST)


Hei Marty.

Interesting thoughts. I am used to since me childhood that me thoughts n wishes et cetera are taken to account and valued highly because at home I was valued.
The same at the private school where we went - the teachers were xxx-good and encouraged us to express, reason, debate etc on a regular bases about anything and everything. At school we were often thrown a subject or an issue to deal with in for-against teams and had to learn to give valid reasons for either way. Not just 'coz 'I feel...'
Twas very useful indeed. Take care. =)

Sunday 3 September 2006 - 06:30PM (CEST)


Marty another interesting blog and may I say an inspiration to us all...I certainly didnt think that I would find the amount of people that I have on 360 giving such an open account of their lives and experiences. I must say it has encouraged me to be more open and honest about my life experiences, and at first only joines 360 for something to do!!!.... oh and by the way thanks for the lesson in vid blogging....check it out... I DID IT...although it may be a while until I get the video and text to coordinate....lol
Thanks again and keep it up...xxx

Sunday 3 September 2006 - 05:34PM (BST)


I initially joined 360 for something to do and just to see what was out there (and yes i found some scary places!) but when i first started blogging i wasn't sure what to put, so i just started putting down my thoughts and feelings and using it like a diary only like you rather than it be a private thing i enjoyed the fact that others could read it and indeed comment on it. i was amazed at the feedback i got and indeed the support it really helped me open up and blow all the cobwebs out. i have had such a positive experience through writing down my feelings and experiences and such suppport in return. Speaking of which you have been of such tremendous support to me Marty and your comments sometimes just give me an alternate way to look at things and this has been of so much help to me. Thank you for your message this morning it helped keep my spirits up after the events of last night. The video made me cry! in a good way of course just had so much emotion to let out after last night and this really did the trick, so thank you my friend and thank you for thinking of me.xx

Sunday 3 September 2006 - 06:59PM (BST)


I joined for similar reasons. Well, actually, I wanted to vent frustrations without having the repercussions at home! It looks like I'm a right moaner from my blog but that's just the side of me that I don't want in real life! I have to say that you do have a talent for blogging. I can't say too much on mine because I don;t want people who know me to realise that it's me!

Sunday 3 September 2006 - 07:05PM (BST)


I think at first I missed the point of why people do this blogging thing. I got into the mind-set of thinking that I need to make what I write interesting to others. But after reading some of the "great" blogs...such as yours and Simon's I realised that it doesn't matter what other people think, you do it for yourself. Any feedback, be it positive or negative, is just a bonus. Although the feedback can have interesting consequences, as you find a discussion developing that goes off at a tangent to the original subject.
I love the way you can start off reading a friend's blog and without realising it, end up reading another person's having jumped through 20 others!! I think maybe more through luck than anything, I have not come across any of those strange or disturbing blogs referred to by Sharron or Kevin. All I can say Marty, is keep up the good work, keep inspiring the rest of us.

Sunday 3 September 2006 - 07:23PM (BST)


By the way, as always, a great song selection. I love the Beatles songs from the "later" era. But McCartney with a beard is kinda scary!!! And am I imagining it(no pun intended) or is Lennon playing bass in that vid?

Sunday 3 September 2006 - 07:27PM (BST)


Bex - I think you have hit it right on the nail there. Vent your frustrations with having the repercussions of home. I think it is that because we do not have the day to day relationship of home life on here and therefore other emotions don't get in the way. We are able to keep the polite relationship one has with aquaintances, whilst somehow being able to express deep innermost thoughts. Its a big big difference from "Hi, how are you today?" answered by "Oh, fine thankyou" ... rarely the whole truth.

Mitch - you have found the secret. Don't try to write an interesting blog, juts write honestly what you think and feel. Somehow people see it honesty and take an interest. Simon is definately a testimony to that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home