This Page

has been moved to new address

23rd August 2006

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: 23rd August 2006

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Monday, October 08, 2007

23rd August 2006

episode 2 of Marty's musings from 2001
333 magnify
Mornin' folks.
I'm happy to report I'm feeling in a better mood this morning. A little church group therapy helped last night and I'm off to band again tonight.
The pic. above was obtained from a great little programme called "Google Earth". Since I got my new PC, this really works well as opposed to my old PC (which I re-formatted yesterday and reinstalled windows). Pic is Santa Maria Califorina. I think I did this coz someone on my friends list is from there.
I worked out (I think) why I can't network my PC's. They have different PCI cards, so I'm gonna have to go buy a new card for my old PC that will be compatible.

Here is a little more archive from some stuff I wrote in 2001. (I wish now that I'd down more of this.)

Work

Bearing in mind that I work in the on-line recruitment industry, I did, at one time find these recruitment websites somewhat annoying when I was looking for work myself. First one has to fill out an on-line form to register and part of this involved setting an on line cv detailing skills and experience. This is what I had already painstakingly done when preparing a word format cv. When this was completed, if anybody took any interest in me, I would be asked to send my cv in MS Word format. “Hang on, why have a spent the last half an hour filling out an on line form, only for your to ask for what I would rather have submitted in the first place?!”. Of course, now that I work (loosely) in the recruitment industry, I fully understand why this is needed and spend much of my day in my role answering the same question to candidates, that I used to ask. How fickle I have become!

It amazes me, the amount of cv’s that I see in a day that are full of useless crap. Some of these people are very experienced in their field and clearly would be good candidates for a particular job, however, they will insist on sending a six page cv detailing every minute detail of their working life and sometimes include a (not very flattering) photograph of themselves. Now I am no oil painting, but I question the necessity of doing this unless specifically requested by the potential employer. Why would a potential employer want to see a photo anyway? Unless they are either racist, against ugly people, ageist, against long hair, don’t like bald people, don’t like miserable people, hate smug smiling people, or simply want to take the piss out of the ridiculous photographs sent in. Now I would never do that! Not much anyway. I shall never forget the day a guy sent in a (requested) photo with his cv. This was in my motor trade days. The photograph showed the guy in bright coloured shorts and t shirt, obviously at Disneyland Paris, with his arms around a “Tigger” character. It was so amusing, considering the draconian ways of my then employer, to see someone have the audacity and naivety to send a photograph such as this, I could not stop laughing all that morning. Needless to say, they guy somehow got an interview. He didn’t get the job and when I was asked to send the unsuccessful reply, I saw the notes made by my then boss. “A little effeminate” (spelt iffeminat) was my employer’s description. The guy clearly didn’t get the job because of unqualified homophobia on the part of my boss.

Its fun to look back a previous thoughts. I have a couple more bits to share which I'll do over coming days.


Comments

(11 total)

) I really rate Google Earth too, its a fantastic program. Congrats on the first win of the season for the Spurs - though I wont be as generous during 3-4.45 on Saturday when they face my Blue boys, lol! Seriously, mate, it should be a good game, and I'm looking forward to it. As you know, the boys from the Lane have a place in my heart, and I often look back on the old days, Hoddle, Villa, Ardiles, Clemence, Perryman etc...

Wednesday 23 August 2006 - 02:11AM (PDT)


So glad your feeling better marty matey.

Wednesday 23 August 2006 - 10:30AM (BST)




Hi Marty, glad you're feeling better today must be something in the air as I too am of better spirits. Loved the second installment of the 2001 stuff, keep it coming!
. x

Wednesday 23 August 2006 - 11:44AM (BST)


Marty, it's good to hear you are feeling better! It's always nice to know that our 360 friends are smiling! Keep it up! x

Wednesday 23 August 2006 - 01:40PM (BST)


Glad you're feeling better! Hope you have a great day!

Wednesday 23 August 2006 - 04:28PM (EEST)


The Ballad of Brave Sir Moo Moo

Bravely bold Sir Moo Moo rode forth from Cowelot.
He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Moo Moo!
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Moo Moo!
He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a hamburger,
Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his hooves all broken;
To have his big horns split, and his udders burned away;
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Moo Moo!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off
And his pen-- MOOOOOO! not the pen-- LOL :)

Wednesday 23 August 2006 - 11:23AM (EDT)


well, so today is another day and fings is lookin up - great and delighted to hear it...

:o)

love and hgus - I mean hugs

dormouse.

Wednesday 23 August 2006 - 05:52PM (BST)


Hey Marty !thank you sharing your previous thoughts . its always interesting to read some previous things . I hope you keep being in a good mood and smile much more 1 :)

Thursday 24 August 2006 - 03:17AM (CST)


I know what you mean about the CV issue, having gone from one who was merely an employee to one who could hire (and fire) it was interesting to read a lot of the CV's and how people thought they could get away with adding certain things, such as the photo's, I had a few of the family shot ones, instead of the passport style I really wanted! For me, I was responsible for hiring reception staff of a company, so needed to be able to see what they did look like, but it was the low standard of how CV's were presented that astounded me, for a while, I did earn some extra dosh writing them for people, keeping them to one sheet of A4, keeping the sections in order and customising to fit the jobs being applied for, not rocket science but good old fashioned logic. And, when receiving them as prospectives, one spelling or grammatical error and they were room 101'd I'm afraid, attention to detail is one of my pet things and when they have clearly been completed in Word, no excuse! I'm much lighter now of course ha ha, I do love your entries, and am slowly beginningt o read some of the iolder ones on your listing now, so expect some more random thoughts soon....

Friday 25 August 2006 - 01:04PM (BST)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home