This Page

has been moved to new address

4th September 2006

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog: 4th September 2006

Marty's "Living life in chapters" A self development blog

Thursday, October 11, 2007

4th September 2006


Al last… Marty’s brain cell has kicked into action and got summut to write today!

Hmmm…. Today has felt slightly odd. I wasn’t sure at one point if I was having a bit of an off day. My mood felt a bit low and I felt a bit frustrated… again.. for no apparent reason. This seems to have gone now. Maybe its just a reaction to getting back to work, having done two 12 hour lone working day shifts. Maybe that had summut to do with it, however, in some ways I like lone working. I guess it gives me a bit more self determination and sometimes in the morning I find too much conversation stresses me out. I guess I sometimes like to be alone with my thoughts for a while (even though clients are around, albeit weekends means they are in bed mostly).

One of my neighbours called this afternoon. We went to collect a gate to put beside my house. There is a driveway through to block garages beside us. Most of the garages are damaged with no doors (including mine) and we have had problems with fly tipping and local youth hanging around. A few weeks ago some set fire to one of the garages. So, we are going to put a gate across the entrance and keep it locked. The local council have been no help at all, mainly saying its private land. Once we put the gate up there will probably be a bit of a furore about it. Still, there’s reasons for that which I won’t go into now. Its another story. Blimey, I’m beginning to sound like Ronnie Corbett! (LOL).

So… here I am back on the night shift lone working again. Staffing has become a problem in recent months. Not much I can do about that. I guess we are pretty lucky that the lads are quite respectful to us as staff, despite some disruptive behaviour at times. I might write some more later tonight. During the night I find my sometimes really gets running with all sorts of thoughts.

Here’s todays scribbling……

Mis-understanding accents

One of the first guys I worked with at The Lighthouse was my very good friend from India, Prem. He's what I call one of lifes gentle giants. I big guy that looks very much like an Olympic weight lifter. A great sense of humour and a committed Christian. I loved working with him and miss him being around now.

The office, at that time was donated a laptop computer. I managed to set up a broadband internet account so that we could use it to surf the net during quiet times at work. One particular day, I came into work to take over a shift from Prem. He was tapping away at the laptop, but looked a little perturbed. “Wassup Prem?” I asked.

“I think I got the wireless” he said.

“Oh, right. You've found somewhere to listen to the radio”

Prem still looked worried.

“No” he said. “Its not working”

“The radio function is not working?”

“No, its the wireless”

“Yes, thats what I mean. You say the wireless is not working. Thats an old fashioned word to use for it”.

Prem still seemed confused over this conversation and so did I. We continued discussing this until I finally got to the bottom of what Prem mean't. He was telling me that the computer had got a virus! I'd forgotton he had difficulty in pronouncing v's and r's.

Todays Video ---- The Carpenters ----- Kinda refective... and not.... I guess this is my mood today.... a mixed bag...

Comments

(12 total)

Strange that the words to the song are so positive and yet karen c died under such sad circumstaces..makes you think...

dormouse..

Monday 4 September 2006 - 09:16PM (BST)


Oooooo Marty I can bet u sqillions that the council will have something to say about that gate! even though it is " private land "....lol Pmsl at the accent thing.... and how easy it is to get our wires crossed! ( bum bum ) get it wires!....lol ok I know it cheap....The Carpenters what a tragic waste of superb talent.... Oh and thanks for the comment on my Mothers Love, yes I did read yours it is what inspired me. Have a good quiet one hun. xxx

Monday 4 September 2006 - 09:31PM (BST)

Steph..... I don't think I really appreciated Karen Carpenters music to the extent I do now until she left us. A tortured soul, like many with such talent

Ell...... Gosh, so you were inspired too. I really started something here didn't I. Glad you liked the story about the words

Monday 4 September 2006 - 10:20PM (BST)


Hi Marty matey, thought you were gonna bomb the blog off for a while when you were struggling for a topic. Good story about the mix up due to accents. Glad to hear your mood has perked up and hey you got a whole brain cell, your better off than me lol.

Monday 4 September 2006 - 10:28PM (BST)


Glad to hear the brain-cell is working again lol. I know what you mean about the accents. I get a lot of that in my job. The centre I work in deals with the London area, so deal with many many different accents....sometimes with very funny results. I'll try to make a list of some of the better ones for a later blog. Tanjewberrymud!! lol

Monday 4 September 2006 - 11:00PM (BST)

Its your brain cell I've got Kev... LOL

Monday 4 September 2006 - 11:35PM (BST


I have a story for you , of a pommy tourist in New Zealand...The tourist hopped on a bus and asked if he could go to One hunga, to which the bus driver replied, "its pronounced 'Oneyhunga' and yes I'll take you'.
The next day , same tourist, same driver, "Ello matey, can you take me to 'Oney tree hill', please?'

Monday 4 September 2006 - 04:46PM (PDT)


Oh, Marty - this made me laugh!! I do medical transcription and I had one doctor who kept using a phrase. Couldn't made out the first word at all but the second seemed to be weesien - when it finally hit me what he was saying, I laughed right out loud - the mystery words were "blurry vision." Over the years I've gotten more used to Indian accents since there are so many Indian doctors over here in the US, but that was my first job and it was a challenge!!

I LOVED The Carpenters and was so sad when she died! I still love their music - what a voice she had!!! I was expecting the song to be "Rainy Days and Mondays" for some reason. Anorexia is such a tragic illness....

Tuesday 5 September 2006 - 01:39AM (PDT)


Glad to see that brain cell still sparking...lol!!
More than mines doing at the moment!!
Love the Carpenters as Doormouse touched upon...strange as the song is positive but Karen lived in such emotional pain and anguish.

Tuesday 5 September 2006 - 09:51AM (BST)


hello Marty, im happy that you have the brain cells on the move again. keep them going! and keep smilin x

Tuesday 5 September 2006 - 12:21PM (BST)


Have to say that I have never noticed your brain cells NOT working! You always seem very lively on all your entries! Maybe they just had a slight strike when you thought they had stopped? It happens! Mine walked out ages ago. Said they weren't being used much anyway.

Tuesday 5 September 2006 - 04:25PM (BST)


Glad you've found your brain cell...now....where's mine got to now, it should have been back home by now!

Tuesday 5 September 2006 - 05:44PM (BST)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home